Sunday, June 17, 2007

Theology, Doctrines and Denominations

Often people are referring to esoteric as in exhibiting knowledge that is restricted to a small group such as a denomination (as many people are doing)? I have studied many denominations and I read all kinds doctrines from various theologians including Lutherans such as Martin Luther, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and others. From the "surface", Christians are looking for any denominations or non-denominational churches who teaches the way people want so they could give their time to pursuits more to their liking, preferences and practices. I didn't say a particular denomination's theology is truth because the Bible is truth while doctrines are taught by man. I am a Christian FIRST. Secondary is the doctrines I rely on based on the Holy Spirit's conviction. In God's grace through Jesus Christ, I am free from bondage of sin. The Book of Hebrews explains that Jesus is the mediator, the executor, of The New Covenant (The New Testament). The word mediator comes from the verb "to mediate" which means a mediator is one who stands between two parties or two factions needing to be reconciled eternally. Christ through His death and resurrection, every legal hindrance has been met and satisfied. The only way to get in is to believe Him with my heart which is sealed by the Holy Spirit. Because of Christ, I am a Christian.

In summary, I am saying that the Holy Spirit gave me assurance of my faith and doctrines I follow. No Church (physical), No Denomination (flesh lead), No pastors or anyone can do this for me. Holy Spirit (as part of the spiritual Church) is the only person who can do this through the Word of God.

I agee with you that we can "chat about a particular doctrinal point, rather than about whether doctrine itself is necessary... that is simply knocking out the legs of the argument all together, putting us both into a discussion of what curls our toes on any given afternoon." Healthy debate is good. Doctrines sounds very good and simple but life is not so simple. I don't know from flesh point of view whether the doctrines I follow are 100% true unless I allow the Holy Spirit to convict my heart to follow certain doctrines. I am 48 years old (been a Christian over 30 years), I have learned so much about doctrines since I was a teen. To this day, I never met a Christian who agrees with my beliefs 100% and I also have not met a Christian who I agree with their beliefs 100%.

I accept the Lutheran Confessions which I found at LCMS's website:
"The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod accepts the Scriptures as the inspired and inerrant Word of God, and subscribes unconditionally to all the symbolical books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church as a true and unadulterated statement and exposition of the Word of God. We accept the Confessions because they are drawn from the Word of God and on that account regard their doctrinal content as a true and binding exposition of Holy Scripture and as authoritative for all pastors, congregations and other rostered church workers of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod."

I can understand from Lutheran history that Lutherans tended to avoid ecumenical fellowship with other Churches, believing that churches should not share Communion and exchange pastors if they do not agree upon doctrine. I know that Lutherans preserve a liturgical approach to the Eucharist, considering Holy Communion the central act of Christian worship which I accept. My main concern is how does one determines who recieves or don't recieve communion? I don't accept communion services in churches that I do not agree with however, how does a local church determine a Christian's beliefs unless they are aware of their beliefs?

Of the various Lutherans denominations (LCMS, ELCA, CELC, WELS and others), I selected LCMS because of obvious reasons that rejected many liberal teachings. The bottom line is that we are to trust the Holy Spirit in this area. God will judge those who explain false doctrines. I will still fellowship and debate with my Christian brethren even though I may not agree with their beliefs. I just don't worship with them and I won't submit to their teachings. I am not a perfect Christian but I am a forgiven Christian who is still learning. I have learned that there is NO perfect denomination. I still have a lot to learn. God do not accept believers based on denominations but rather who is a sinner, are made in the image of God; that Christ's death was the substitute payment for their sins; and that because of Jesus' payment, they are granted access to the heart of God. We are in Christ, not in denomination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home