Friday, June 29, 2007

Pride, Relgious and Spiritual

I have an issue with pride because pride can lead a Christian to think, “Look what I've accomplished.” I am not yet perfect, but I thank God and my Lord Jesus Christ that I am done with the past and I do now trust in my Savior for full deliverance from all my sins. Sometimes, according to the Scriptures, we must move away from bad teachings which means we are to seperate from those teachings we disagree with. Regardless of the teachings (doctrines), we all are Christian first according to Jesus Christ's teachings (not the Church's teachings). A church is an assembly of believers. Just like a family, a local church is our spiritual family. It is only in the local body to which one is committed that there can be the level of intimacy that is required for spiritual growth with brothers/sisters in Christ "to love and good deeds." Only through that kind spiritual initamcy where we can encourage one another. Is my faith being lead by my own flesh's efforts? Or, is my faith being lead by the Holy Spirit? Efforts comes from Holy Spirit through the power of Grace.

We will never be perfect but we can be filled. The Greek word for "dwells" is okv (oike), which means "I inhabit." "If Christ is in us, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness" (Romans 8:10). "My temorary body is decaying at the same time, my inner being is being renewed day by day" (2 Cor 4:16). It is God's will that we submit to the Holy Spirit and keep on filling (Ephesians 5:18). Like an athlete when training, we should always keep drinking water so that we won't be dehydrated and feeling weak. With that thought in mind, we should always keep filling the Holy Spirit so that we are able to act and react any given situations. "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9).

My main concern is the same as Lutheran Pastor, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's. Bonhoeffer’s concept of "costly grace" has appealed to many who think it is the answer to the apathy and worldliness of contemporary (1930's) Christians. From reading Dietrich's book, "The Cost of Discipleship" which first published in English in 1949. He wrote: 'costly grace' as opposed to 'cheap grace, ' which he described as 'Grace without price; grace without cost, ' or "grace without discipleship.'

"Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

A disciple must understand that God is both holy and loving; that I am a sinner, are made in the image of God; that Christ's death was the substitute payment for my sin; and that because of Jesus' payment, I am granted access to the heart of God. Sin by accident as part of our sinful nature: Those who are in Christ.

This is why Jesus talks about discipleship. Remember the story about the rich ruler? Jesus looked after the rich young ruler as he walked away, but Jesus did not follow him or attempt to coerce him. Jesus wants people make their own moral choices; and Christ knew this and permitted rich ruler to go his own chosen way. Jesus is saying that He cannot do our repenting for us. He died for our sins, now it is up to us to pick up the cross. "Salvation is free, ... but discipleship will cost you your life." (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)

Regarding preaching the Gospel, especially to the deaf, there is Amercian Sign Language (ASL). There are interpretors who will interpret different languages between cultures. Tower of Babel that scattered everyone who were speaking different languages. In the New Testament, there were many verses that talked about Christians being scattered all over the world. Why? Jesus said in Matthew 28:19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations." Nation from the greek word "Ethnos". Strongs defines Ethnos as a multitude (whether of men or of beasts) associated or living together as a company, troop, swarm. A multitude of individuals of the same nature or genus the human family a tribe, nation, people group (Culture). I was involved in a deaf culture for many years and reached out to them. God had a purpose for each one of us. The BEST Evangelist is the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ and as I talk, the Holy Spirit will work in a person's heart to be convicted. I share while the Holy Spirit does the REAL work.

I am not seeking assurance because I know I have the assurance. The Holy Spirit gave me assurance of my faith and doctrines I follow. No Church, No Denomination, No pastors or anyone can do this for me. Holy Spirit is the ONLY person who can do this through the Word of God.

As far as playing Christian or "religion", people will always look on appearance or how they feel or whether the gospel being preached purely/spiritual and the Sacraments being administered "rightly/ritely". I am reminded of the following verses:

Romans 12:3 - "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

Galatians 6:3 "If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself."

James 1:26 says, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."

We can fake other people but we can't fake to God. It is important to understand that our hearts are the state of our "flesh". Our flesh search for pleasure, pride, passions and selfish motives. Our hearts are like a garden with beautiful flowers and plants. As with all gardens, the hearts must be kept free from weeds and insects. God is not impressed by our works or how we worship. In 1. Samuel 16:7, The Lord said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord don't make decisions the way you do. People judge by outward appearance (i.e. works), but the Lord looks at a person's thoughts and intentions (heart)."

There is no comparison of other flesh between believers however ourselves, the Word of God and Holy Spirit. True worship involves spiritually as well the intellect as much as the emotions from within and that the truth that worship is to be focused on God, not on the worshiper. Jesus was teaching that worship embraces what we do in life, not just what we do in the formal place of worship. This is what Paul was saying in Romans 12:1 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy, and pleasing to God, this is your spiritual act of worship." As we worship, we must worship in spirit, not in flesh as Paul wrote in Philippians 3:3 "We are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home