Monday, April 02, 2007

Church Governments

My younger days were mostly Independent Baptist churches. I attended Catholic school for 7 years. Other denominations I have visited over the years are Grace Brethren (Anabaptist), Missionary & Alliance, Mennonite, Methodist, Pentacostal, Congregational and many others. No matter what denomination I go to, God will direct me if I aware of it or not. I am learning that God will always lead me to His providential circumstances for my own good, in His will and for His glory. God knows me so well that He will do His providential actions at the very moment of my need according to His will.

In a denomination, democracy is good in terms of the government in general however, I believe democracy can only work in a local church along WITH the denomination's rules and policies that are biblical. The Presbyterian church derives its name form the Greek word, presbyters, which is translated elder. So a Presbyterian church is one that is governed by elders. the Presbyterian church is not a "democracy." Democracy is a form of government in which a body governs itself, with every member exercising an equal voice in decisions affecting the life of the whole body. Keep in mind, Presbyterian church is also NOT a "monarchy." The monarchical form of government is represented by those churches following the episcopal order, that of government by bishops. The Presbyterian church follows neither the "democratic" nor the "monarchical," form of government. The Presbyterian format accords with the New Testament pattern that elders are elected by the congregation (democracy) for the purpose of governing. Once ordained and installed, they assume full spiritual authority and democracy is no longer in affect. The only authority any pastor or elder has is the Word of God. When you step beyond the Word of God, you’ve overstepped the bounds of your authority.

God reveals Himself primarily through the pages of Scripture; that is why I believe the Bible as my absolute authority. 1 Peter 4:11 instructs me to handle biblical truth: "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God." If the Bible is true, then it is also authoritative. As divinely revealed truth, it carries the full weight of God's own authority. A church must understand that Christ is the head of the church (Eph. 1:22; 4:15) and that He mediates His rule in the church through godly elders (1 Thess. 5:13-14; Heb. 13:7, 17).

The elders have been recognized by the whole congregation as men of integrity and trustworthiness--men who have made commitment to themselves and to God that they are to serve the church by following as best they can the principles of God's Word and giving leadership and direction to the procedures of following that Word, no matter what the consequences or where it will lead. What I like about The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) is that PCA is able to keep out false teachings.

I have been in many local churches and I have seen false teachings creep into them. We should all take a long hard look at what things we consider to be important. We need elders to PROTECT the Word of God and make sure there are no false teachings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home