Monday, April 02, 2007

Dealing with TEMPTATIONS

We all must remember that without these temptations and circumstances, our self-discovery of spiritual maturity will not be learned. Our greatest teachers are those circumstances of temptations we are facing because they are reminders that we are still sinners and we are to be trained into spiritual growth. When we most aware of our weaknesses, we are more inclined to collapse into God's strength and experience His amazing grace. "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9).

In 1 Timothy 4 explains that Christians must choose their priorities carefully like an athlete as to have disciplined lives forgo some desires that may hinder doing God's will and please God as you are after God's own heart. "An athlete who aspires to win the coveted prize does not indulge himself" (J. Oswald Sanders).

Reading Hebrews helped me understood that I am to be aware of obstacles and hindrances I would meet during my life, to throw me off balance that hinders doing the Will of God that could entangle my life easily if I do not submit myself to God's power of grace. God's grace is more than sufficient in my life that I am to fix my eyes on Jesus who is my author and perfecter of my faith (Hebrews 12:2). Faith and Grace together is to "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14, NIV).

What should motivate me like an athlete who trains for the Olympics to win a gold medal such self-discipline and willing to face the endurance of the spiritual training as Hebrews 12 and other biblical passages describes?

I have learned that it is God's will to submit to the Holy Spirit and keep on filling me (Ephesians 5:18). Like an athlete when training, I should always keep drinking water so that I won't be dehydrated and feeling weak. With that thought in my mind, I should always keep filling the Holy Spirit in my life so that I am able to act and react any difficulties in my life with God's power (Grace). The power of Grace through the Holy Spirit is my strength that I am able to boast and win for Christ at all costs (see 2 Corinthians 12:1-12).

One thing I have learned regarding "Cost of Discipleship" when I was dealing with my own temptations and failings. Discipleship requires following Jesus on His terms. A person who looks back is not fit to be His disciple (Luke 9:62). Looking back is a struggle for me that I need to work on NOT looking back. Remember a story about Sodom and Gomorrah? The angels warned Lot and his family not to look back when they run from the cities or they will die (see Genesis 19). Lot's wife died when she looked back. Looking back means you are still holding on to sin or sins that you will miss.

That is one thing we can use to remember about when we are holding on to our sins because when we do, temptations will FAIL. We need to let go and move in with God's help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home